Thursday, December 1, 2011

First Acoustic Performance

The Story:
When I was in the 6th grade everyone was given the option to play an instrument or sing in the choir, which later would allow you to play the guitar. I wish that Bobby Brown never came out with that "My Prerogative" video that had all these girls on stage dancing and playing instruments(see video below). I thought the lady playing the sax was SOOOOOOOOO Cool and begged my parents to let me play the sax for school. Six years later I never took the saxophone home to practice, still managed to have first chair and was bored to death of the thing. By the time my senior year of high school came around I decided it just wasn't COOL enough for me to keep playing Yankee Doodle Dandy, so I quite :-)

lovely decor on display!
Looking back I always wish I had picked the guitar because guess what...you can't sing and play the sax at the same time :-) In college I played around with the guitar but never really took it serious and it served more as a decorative piece of art to display in my house. Two years ago I gave my dad's old guitar back to him and purchased myself a Fender acoustic. When 2011 rolled around, again I noticed that I had another beautiful piece of decor on display so I decided to challenge myself and I set a goal to perform in public before 2012.

Last month I sent a video of me playing the guitar to a friend and asked for some pointers. I asked him if I could pull off an open mic or if I should wait and practice a little more. He said I just needed to go an do it...so last night I did IT. I popped my cherry and played my guitar in public for the first time!

I need to stop decorating!!!
I sounded like I was playing a toy guitar and it was out of tune.  Who would guess that you need to tune your guitar right before you go on ;-)  But hey I did it and now I know what to expect. I met a lot of great folks and the venue is 3 blocks away from my house. Can't wait to go back...might even get a couple more in before 2012 :-)!!!

The video of "Let's Get it On" and "Tyrone" is me practicing the night before.  The "From where I'm standing" video is the one I sent to my friend asking if I could pull of an open mic.  Oh and I am not left handed...the video is just in a mirrored format.

Let's Get it On
(I was told to stop playing with the thumb pick.  As 
you can see I chickened out and decided to use it for 
the open mic just in case i got so nervous that the pick 
flew out my hand)


From Where I'm Standing
(My nails needed to be cut on my strumming hand. You can hear them banging on the guitar)


Tyrone
(Yeah I know I'm making some crazy facial expressions...Enjoy the comedy!!!  Oh and my little Dog is holding it down with the toe tapping percussion skills )


Reason Why I Picked the Saxophone
Bobby Brown



No comments:

Post a Comment